Sunday, August 1, 2021

The structure of The Ozark

Recently I have been watching a tv series called The Ozarks. For years friends have been pressing on me to watch it, and I even know a guy who wrote some of it, but for some reason I didn't get myself to turn it on until very recently. I instantly got hooked as my friends had predicted.

I am fashinated by how those different classes of people operate together and how quickly their very complex problems escalate and how fast they can solve them, each in their own way. The mean guys are also some of the most disgusting that I have seen. The FBI cop and Ruth’s redneck dad. Ruth is probably my favorite although I hope she won't become too tame in the next episodes.

The huge power roles played by middle aged women in the series is cool for obvious feminist reasons and the writers have all the archetypical elements under control. Buddy the mentor, Darlene the evil witch, whatshisface the evil father, and the gay redneck dad who became his sons ghost mentor (I cant remember their names). And then of course the Romeo and Juliet element in it. The love affair between Charlotte and Wyatt. Uptown girl and downtown boy etc.etc. I have just finished the second series and now it’s time to begin the third one. It would be in my nerdian spirit to write recaps in the next few days.

Later!


No comments: